December 30, 2014

Let's All Not Go To The Movies

Do any of you still go to the movies?
Like a lot of people, I'll go when I feel the film calls for it. You can have a solid surround sound system at home, but it still can't compare to what the best theatres offer visually and sonically. Plus, if there's a film you're really Jones'ing for, you want to see it right away.
My preference when going to the movies.
This way I can also be pantless.
But usually I'll go to a weekday matinee. And that's because I don't like, nor need, the "shared" experience of going to the movies. First, I've grown accustomed to having space between me and the next guy - in fact, a lot of space. Yesterday I went to a 4:30 screening at the Cineplex at Yonge and Dundas, and being the holidays, it was rammed. I had people on both sides of me. I know I know..first world problems, but me no likey. And I won't even get into the low hanging fruit annoyances like talking, cellphones and the waft of quarter pounders.
Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I find that audience audibles pull me right out of the immersive experience. This list can be extensive and includes:
*laughing
*gasping
*shrieking
*guffawing
*gibbering
Not sure why so many of those things start with "g", but there you have it.

2 comments:

  1. People: They're the worst.

    I love restaurants that aren't busy, will spend 20 minutes finding a place with no one in it. Probably why I eat at Quiznos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kaiserhead - Much like yourself, I find myself becoming more cynical about certain types of people all the time. And, I don't apologize for that, because it's not that I'm a cranky carmudgeon (as fellow commenter Clefto has written about), but it's because people are doing things that deserve a fury of criticism. Smarten the fuck up and we'll back off.

    As for your note about finding a empty spot to eat, I concur. One time I was in the Caribbean and I spotted a little romantic off the beaten track sort of place on the beach, not on the grounds of the resort. I was there with a girl I had been dating at the time, and I surprised her with a romantic dinner at this joint. It consisted of a hut, a cooler with cold beer and fresh lobster.

    Later, at the hospital, in between bouts of purging from multiple orifices (or is that orifii?), she mumbled something incoherently about why I had taken her to such a terrible place. I couldn't have possibly answered that question of course because I didn't go to the hospital with her. You know - survival of the fittest and all. Besides, there was a Michael Jackson show back at the resort which I just wouldn't dare miss.

    ReplyDelete