February 21, 2015

Television I Don't Watch

Consumption of "television" has changed dramatically over the last several years, and not always for the better. I'm aware of a lot of the content  out there, but I watch very little. Here are some lowlights:

Two And A Half Men
This is the Nickelback of TV. I watched once for 5 minutes to see what the hype was, and it was like a hundred tiny knives jabbing me until I flipped channels. Very unfuny, seemed forced, and that old timey 3 camera studio audience production style just...bugs me. (PS - wasn't a fan of Seinfeld either)

Reality shows
Cookie-cutter scripted piles of horse shit mainly featuring self-absorbed douchebags, appealing to the gaping maw who get off on watching train-wrecks, faux or otherwise. 

Anything on TLC
Your life is sad enough when you're six hundred pounds. Now you're whoring your gelatinous ass out under the pretense that you'll be the next Wookie..er, no..a Wookie is from Star Wars..Snooki..i meant Snooki.  People watch this tripe because it makes them feel better, saying "well sure I'm fat but at least I'm not as fat as that guy!"

Television: Expanding minds since the 1950's

CBC
Aside from hockey, I've never really watched a single program on this network. I wish I could because I'd love to support Canadian content, but whether it's Rick Mercer or 22 minutes, it just ain't my cup of tea. Oh wait, I did watch The Friendly Giant on CBC when I was six.

Renovation, House Hunting and Cooking Competition based shows
Similar to the issues I have with reality tv, but  I don't need to be reminded that I'm about as handy as Rob Ford was a model mayor. I don't mind shows that tour actual restaurants like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives because these are authentic joints, but I can do without the cartoon-character hosts.

Do share some of your favourites..or not so favourites. Maybe on a future post I'll write about the programs I do watch, but that entry will be very short.

2 comments:

  1. The only decent show I ever watched was "Our Toronto" on Rogers. Fucking brilliant!

    ReplyDelete